Verde Chicken Enchilada Casserole Ingredients:The joy of enchilada casseroles is that they are super customizable when it comes to ingredients. So feel free to sub/add in any of your favorite fillings here. I like to use:
- Cooked chicken: Either from baked chicken breasts recipe, or I often just shred a rotisserie chicken.
- Veggies: The recipe below uses a quick blend of onion, poblano (or green bell) pepper, corn and fresh spinach. But feel free to add any other favorite veggies to the sauté.
- Beans: Two cans of your faves. I used pinto beans for this version.
- Enchilada sauce:Homemade or store-bought.
- Corn tortillas: We’ll cut them in half, in order to help them layer a bit more evenly.
- Shredded cheese: Any kind of Mexican blend, Monterrey Jack or Pepperjack will do.
- Toppings: Chopped fresh cilantro, diced red onion, thinly-sliced green onion, diced avocado, sour cream, extra cheese…whatever sounds good to you.
How To Make A Chicken Enchilada Casserole:To make this chicken enchilada casserole, simply:
- Cook your filling: Sauté the onion and pepper until soft. Then stir in the beans, corn, chicken and part of the green enchilada sauce until combined. This will be your main filling.
- Stack your layers: In this order: enchilada sauce, tortillas, chicken filling, cheese, tortillas, chicken filling, cheese, tortillas, chicken, enchilada sauce and cheese.
- Bake: Covered for 20 minutes, then uncovered for another 10 until the cheese is melted.
- Garnish: Sprinkle on any of your desired toppings. (I vote the more, the merrier for sure.)
- Serve warm: Or cover and refrigerate for up to 3 days. (The leftovers are fantastic!)